A fun side-project that I often pick up is generation of semantically correct EPUB/MOBI/PDF files from various online books and content. This is a short list:
- Chapters 0-32 from Oathbringer, Book 3 in the Stormlight Archive, being published by Tor in serialized format. (ongoing)
- Way of Kings Reread
- Tor’s re-read of Way of kings, Book 1 in the Stormlight Archive.
- Words of Radiance Reread
- Tor re-read of Words of Radiance, Book 2 in the Stormlight Archive.
- Oathbringer Reread
- Tor re-read of Oathbringer, Book 3 in the Stormlight Archive.
- Edgedancer Reread
- Tor re-read of Edgedancer, a novella between Books 2 & 3 in the Stormlight Archive.
- Way of Kings Prime
- Brandaon Sanderson published a few chapters from the earliest draft of Way of Kings (2002, while the book was published almost a decade later).
- Tor’s serialized publication of Hoshruba-The Land and the Tilism.
- Magic Muggle
- Harry Potter fan-fiction about a muggle going to Hogwarts. (3rd book
- Site Reliability Engineering
- Google’s book on Site Reliability Engineering. Published by Google as a online read under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
- The Site Reliability Workbook
- The Site Reliability Workbook is the hands-on companion to the bestselling Site Reliability Engineering book and uses concrete examples to show how to put SRE principles and practices to work. Published by Google as a online read under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.
Things next on my list:
I only provide the scripts for the generation on GitHub. If you’d like a copy without having to run the script, get in touch and ask.
Here are links to other similar tools that you might like:
As a side-effect, I often get into the rabbit hole of generating the perfect EPUB instead of actually reading them.