Project Updates ⚓16 Sep 2017
Over the last couple of years, I’ve been involved with lots of side projects, both online and offline. Some of them, I’ve written about on the blog, like my music visualizer project. A few of them, got their own project page, like the website for my niece (but no blog post) while some didn’t even get a mention. I thought I’d write about the many-many side projects I’ve started (and abandoned). You might also wanna visit the /projects page for the larger projects.
- Home Server Build
- Sep 2017 Built a home server, mostly as a HTPC but also as a learning exercise for managing services over Docker.
- Sushi Go
- Summer 2017 This is a work-in-progress conversion of Sushi Go (original), the popular card game by Gamewright into Ruby.
- June 2017 Downloads music-compilations from YouTube and rips them into multiple tagged MP3 files.
- September 2017 Wrote a EPUB generator for multiple books in the Cosmere. Currently covers 4 different serializations at Tor.com. Also created a project page on all of my ebooks projects at /ebooks/
- Ongoing I maintain a CC0 licensed list of personal ideas. Feel free to use.
- May 2017 Created an animated wallpaper using spectrumyzer. Wrote a blog post about it.
- Feb/Sep 2017 EPUB generator for the Google SRE ebook. Started in February in Python. Gave up and redid it properly in September.
- CodeChef Offline
- March 2012 I attempted to make a offline repository for CodeChef problems. I spent some time in May 2017 upgrading the project with a cleaner scraper and a Jekyll base.
- June 2015 I wrote a script that scraped Tor’s serialized publication of the first book in Hoshruba series to generate EPUB and MOBI files. I would recommend the book if you are interested in reading what many would term the “original fantasy book”
- December 2013 - I wrote a Linux PyGTK application that sits in your taskbar using Indicator Applet to show you the latest stories from Hacker News. Looking for a maintainer.
- May 2017 I wrote a script to convert Magic Muggle (A Harry Potter fanfic about a muggle who accidentally gets into Hogwarts) books from their original reddit posts to EPUB and MOBI files.
- Kerala IT Policy
- March 2017 Attempted to transcribe the draft IT policies put up by the Government of Kerala. Lots of OCR followed by manual fixes. I stopped working on this when I realized that the government had actually put up a really nice website for this (with clear plaintext, not the bad PDF I was using as the source).
- August 2015 I created a DNS based HTTP-3xx redirect service. Useful if you own a domain and you want it to be redirected, but don’t have a webserver with you. Made as part of the Django Hackathon organized by HackerEarth in Ruby.
- November 2015 My hack during hackbeach 2015. Created something best described as “couchsurfing for hackers”. Simple Jekyll/Ruby website hosted on GitHub Pages.
Published on September 16, 2017 in projects,updates